Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly - Hard Mode playthrough log

I decided to start a new game plus, on hard mode... I realized you can now skip cutscenes with the 1 button, awesome, that helps a lot. There's a lot of vanishing ghosts in the Osaka house in chapter 1 that are kinda tricky to get, even when you expect them. I ended still missing a couple ghosts in that chapter now because I wasn't following the guide closely enough. I then started chapter 2, and already missing 1 ghost in a group of 3 vanishing ghosts that appear at the same time... but that's fine I can leave these few stragglers for a 3rd playthrough.

Ghost list is now 66% complete.. I played for 3 hours and this playthrough is now at about 1 hour of game time...


12/03/2016

Went through chapter 2, 3, and 4 just now... I went through the whole Kurosawa house a lot faster this time, while getting every vanishing ghost and barely getting hit at all by the hostile ghosts, and getting a lot more fatal frames than my first playthrough... I'm way better at this now.

Damn.. there's these 4 ghosts in the Master's room that you have to get BEFORE you enter the room... I didn't even notice I missed them before saving it. oh well I guess that'll be for a 3rd playthrough, where I rush through the game on normal mode and clean up the last remaining ghosts and get another of the endings.

12/04/2016

Just got through all of chapters 5 and 6, where Mayu and Mio get separated again and have to go through the Osaka house again to get the key to get into the Kiryu house, and then find a way to open the underground passage into the Tachibana house...

Even some of these tougher enemies that were a pain in the ass the first time, I'm getting through them pretty easily on hard mode now. It really seems like the only difference in hard mode is that the enemies do more damage. They seem just as aggressive as before. There might be a few instances where you have to fight more of them than usual? but I'm not sure, it's hard to tell.

For the dollmaker fight, this time my strategy is to run around the outside of the room until I get safely away from the dolls, and then look around to try to find where he is and do a max shot on him to get him to stop animating the dolls... He's actually easier in the 2nd form because the purple aura makes him much more visible.

and yeah, I'm still missing like a few vanishing ghosts in each chapter. I got most of the hard ones at least, but some of these are just really silly... Like in chapter 5 there's one that's supposed to appear in the ruins of the Tachibana house after you've visited either the Osaka house or the Storeroom. I tried looking around after clearing the Osaka house but couldn't find her... I guess you have to do it before getting the Kiryu house key? and in chapter 6 it was another situation like in chapter 4, where some ghosts are supposed to appear in the next room before you enter it, but I couldn't get them to trigger for some reason.

12/05/2016

Chapter 7 is annoying... That first part where you are chased by Sae until you get back to the bridge isn't so bad anymore... but after that there's hostile ghosts in like almost every room... I'm able to get fatal frames on all of them, but can never get any fatal combos because they're in such close quarters they always get pushed back behind a wall.

I didn't even bother doing all the Kiryu house ghost refights would've just drained my film and possibly health for no reason. The Tachibana house takes a while to fully explore... Possibly even longer than the first time doing the Kurosawa house. Mainly because of Chitose... That girl that constantly cries out for Itsuki... You have to fight her at least twice before you get the key to where Mayu is... but if you want to fully explore the Tachibana house you have to fight her like 5 times. She's not hard at all, just takes a while before she shows her face. also if you leave her alone for too long, she'll scream out and cause the entire room to go pitch black and make you unable to track where she is for like a minute.

Actually it isn't really as annoying as chapter 6... Those damn twin/doll ghost battles are ridiculous. The only way I could figure out to do it without getting hit was to shoot the doll with a max shot as soon as possible, and only when there are no dolls to worry about, then go after the real twin and try to get a fatal frame on her.

At chapter 8 now... nearly 9 hours of game time. Also I think getting past 75% ghost completion unlocked the white outfit.

12/06/2016

Difficulty: Hard
Clear Time: 11:46:50
Total Score: 689245
Rank E

lmao what...

"You can now select Nightmare Mode."

NOPE
At least not for now... I do like this game a lot though, so I might try out Nightmare Mode some time in the future.

Anyway... The 8th chapter was easy, just a bunch of refights against ghosts that I already know how to get fatal frames and beat without getting hit...
The final chapter is ridiculous though... at this point I decided against refighting the ghosts in here. these enemies are quite a pain to deal with when they are in groups, so I just ran past them and went straight to the next room instead.

That Kurosawa head guy was really hard.. I really HATE how he keeps showing up behind the wall or for some reason just decides to not be vulnerable to my camera... Eventually I figured out that you have to kill the 2 servant ghosts he summons before you can do any more damage to him, but it's still very chaotic until you take care of them.

Had to deal with 6 or 7 or so of those darkness kusabi ghosts while going down the deep path to the ending area... They are easy when alone, but when there's 2 of them they overwhelm me. still I got through it without much problem.

That abyss monster was much harder now... it seems like he regenerates faster this time. I'm using up my 90-film and I still can't beat him unless I make full use of the "Fatal Time" special lens and get more than 3 fatal frame hits in... or otherwise just get lucky and have him open up his fatal frame points quickly. it took me longer than 5 minutes to beat this guy on hard mode, which meant that I got the Shadow Festival ending instead of the Hellish Abyss ending I was going for.

When Mio goes down to the abyss where Mayu is, Mayu says it's already too late... The repentance has started coming out of it... Mio and Mayu sit there and watch as they get engulfed by the repentance... and then for some reason it goes to a festival scene where Mayu and Mio are peacefully enjoying the festival...

No comments:

Post a Comment