Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Friday, September 29, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns - First playthrough log part 4

I now have 105 missile capacity, 4 energy tanks. 21.3% overall completion, Time Played 6:29:08, and 17 Metroids remaining.

This game is longer than I expected.

Area 4



Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Damn, already I'm bombarded with like half a dozen different ways to go. At least one of these paths is only available after the poison water is lowered.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Already found the Metroid larva shell... I bet this whole area is gonna be a big thing where I chase this one Metroid around throughout the whole area, and that's why there's only one required.

Decided to try the upper path first, but it just lead to a spazer door and another one of those weird green transparent doors, both I can't open yet.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

...Actually it's not as open as I thought. I already narrowed my choices down to that one long path to the left.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Dude, this background scenery is so good... this is the best looking area in the game yet. I'm like, consistently impressed with the background art in this game... it looks SO good especially with the 3D turned on. It's amazing they were able to make the game looks this good on a small 240p screen.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Spazer Beam get. Finally, it's been foreshadowed long enough.

Hell yeah, just like when I got the Wave Beam... this makes killing enemies even less tedious than before. I can actually kill those snail enemies quickly now without resorting to missiles. Even those annoying bug swarms go down quickly with Spazer... I don't need to waste Aeion on these things anymore.

Even the lava section of this area looks better than usual.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Then there's an area with a bunch of shiny crystals in the background. So pretty...

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

So far it's just a linear path with a lot of grappling, and storming through easy enemies... wtf, but then I get ambushed by this one enemy that can only be killed by Beam Burst, and it uses an explosion on me that disables my Aeion abilities... so cheap.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

I was right about Area 4's Metroid... just had to chase it around throughout the whole upper part of the area. This one Metroid fighting room is in a swampy looking area with some paths in the background, making this place look very realistic and lived-in.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Now I can drain the poison water and go lower... Then there's a morphball maze with an energy tank... and then... another Chozo Seal in the same area further down.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

This one requires 3 Metroids.

At the right side there's an elevator going up to another part of Area 4... I also have another way down through where the poison water was lowered, over at the left side... I'll keep that in mind and go up for now.

A lot of pretty blue crystals in the background here.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Woah wtf... suddenly a felt a small earthquake, and then I saw a little creature in the background digging through the ground, with blue crystals on its back.

In the next room... a broken Chozo Statue, with no item... The place is already in ruins, and there's a path down through the broken floor.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Woah... that was cool, I wasn't expecting a chase scene with that scary giant robot from earlier. You really have to think quick to get through this. I got through it on the first try easy. But it goes on for several sections, with a break between each one. The 3rd one is pretty hard, I actually died there a few times until I was able to memorize the spider ball paths.

Finally, it gives up chasing me, and spits out the Space Jump item.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

meh... This item doesn't really matter much when you can infinite bomb jump so easily... but at least it's faster than bomb jumping or spider ball climbing around everywhere.

Hmm... doesn't seem like I can backtrack to where that robot chased me and get the items I missed, until I get something that can destroy these green blocks.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

This upper right vertical path... there's a lot of ways to go around here... but most of them require stuff I don't have yet.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Got the Super Missile ability... This was when I realized there are 3 slots for missile types when holding R. I wonder what the 3rd missile type will be.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

At the top right is a multi-room Gamma Metroid fight in a lava area... I didn't mention this before, but you are always locked into the series of rooms where the Metroid runs around in until you defeat it... but you still get plenty of opportunities to restore some health from normal enemies while chasing the Metroid down... It's kinda dumb. I would prefer to just fight the Metroid in one single battle where you don't get breaks in between.

Actually... this one is giving me some trouble, mostly because I'm only at like 1 energy tank and I'm too stubborn to grind back to full health. Mostly it was because I was lazily getting hit by these red Plated Beetle enemies on the way in here.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Oh, and NOW I find the nearby energy station that wasn't even hidden at all after beating that really tough lava metroid battle lol.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Now I once again have several paths to take... only 2 Metroids to find in this section though.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Found one... it's the first Zeta Metroid fight.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

That was pretty easy actually, I beat it first try. It has a really obvious tell where it glows red and you can use your Grapple Beam to pull it down and then get some free hits on it.

The path through that one Spazer door... lol guess I can't go there yet, unless it's possible to survive the dip in the lava with the amount of energy tanks I have.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Took the bottom door in this big upper right section, and that looped around back to where the elevator is... I guess now I can backtrack through that robot chase area and get whatever I missed there.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

This puzzle was pretty tricky, requires some clever use of the spring ball.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Got everything that I can find in that upper right section... now to take that other down path from way back near the left side of Area 4.

That last one I needed was just a pussy Alpha Metroid in a room filled with shallow water. The background here looks really cool, like some kind of waterfall sanctuary...

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Lowered the poison water again... This room further down, there's a shallow river of poison water going into the background... some kind of temple like atmosphere...

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Finally, here's the elevator to the next area.


Area 5 Introduction


Seven Metroid sacrifices needed to lower the water here... This place has a bunch of pulsating purple plant things in the background that seem to be feeding off the poison water.

Metroid: Samus Returns screenshot

Got to a save point really easily, so I'll stop here for now.


This was my favorite area in the game so far... Mostly because of how pretty all the backgrounds look, and it had some really fun action/puzzle sequences without dragging on too long.

Currently I'm at 5 energy tanks, 129 missiles, 8 super missiles... and from looking at the equipment screen I'm guessing the only abilities I have left to find are the Plasma Beam, the Power Bomb, the Gravity Suit, and the Screw Attack... and one more Aeion ability and possibly another missile type? And 13 Metroids remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment