Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Journey (PS3) high playthrough log

In this game, you're a strange 2 legged creature wearing a robe of ribbons... there are other ribbons with that same design floating around, and you call to them with a bell noise to increase your ribbon power, allowing you to temporarily fly... it's like just being in proximity to these special ribbons gives you flight power... It's like a cat designed this game...

When you don't have any ribbon power, all you can do is walk and climb up small ledges... you end up going so slowly that it just makes you give up on trying to go in any direction where there's no ribbon power to collect... The ribbons guide you on the linear path through the game.

Each... checkpoint? is like a mural printed on a wall of sand... when you light up all the monuments near it, the wall of sand opens up a tunnel... the mural is like some metaphoric religious journey or something...

Oh man... the more ribbons you set free, the more "floaty" the game feels... it starts becoming more and more of a flying game rather than a platformer... it's not about controlling the ribbons or leading them... trying to do that only gets you going the wrong way... the whole point is to follow along with the crowd of ribbons... trust that they won't lead you into danger...

But then... inside a dark mountain... you fall into the pit of darkness and despair... no ribbons in sight... but wait, I see a glimmer of light in the distance... that's the way to go! The statues lead the way... eventually I find a map on the wall, and the ribbons catch up to me and start brightening the place up and making the game more "floaty" again... There's so many ribbons here now, this sacred temple looking area is like a free-flying zone. I keep raising the level of the pool of ribbon magic, allowing me to keep flying higher and higher, and got to the next mural checkpoint...

Saw that huge bright light ontop of the mountain peak again... that same one I saw at the beginning of the game, shining so brightly that it stood out even in the desert in the daytime... making it really obvious where you're supposed to head towards... the ribbons are guiding you to that place...

Now I'm going through a snow storm... the ribbons keep jumping ahead, lighting up checkpoints ahead of me, making sure I don't lose sight of that glimmer of light... I think this part of the game you were meant to have found a live 2nd player to journey with by now so that you can free-fly more easily, but I don't care about that, I'm enjoying just taking my time playing through this at my own pace.

Each mural checkpoint shows more of the story... they are also ribbon radar checkpoints, shielded from the dark forces of nature that can destroy the ribbon magic...

Can't see any ribbons behind me... maybe they're hidden behind the checkpoints too?
Now the ribbons are like frozen solid, and give off barely any magic... still enough to keep me walking and moving forward at least... but now these frozen ribbons are getting fewer in numbers... can barely see any ahead of me... At this point, I almost start to think I might be going the wrong way, but then I just barely catch the next glimpse of light to show where to go in this snowstorm... my bell noise to call out for other ribbons is now just a whimper...

Now I'm the one hiding under rocks to avoid the searchlight snakes... these things don't even kill you when they hit you, all they do is set you back a bit... 

Then suddenly, I get to where all the ribbons have arrived at... the ribbon magic is everywhere, I have unlimited flight power... I just leisurely fly around... while also being guided towards a direction that all the other ribbons are pointing towards... and I fly straight into that mountain peak that the light beam is coming from... and I land there and walk forward... until I can't walk forward anymore...

The... end?


This was great... I kept vaping a bowl throughout the whole time and beat it in like 2 and a half hours, and it made me "feel" the ribbon magic and the atmosphere so much, it was really surreal... This is the perfect game to play while high...

No comments:

Post a Comment