Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Kirby Super Star Ultra - high playthrough part 2

World 6: Revenge of the King
King Dedede demands revenge! Will he finally reign victorious over his age-old nemesis?!
"I'ma get revenge on dat der kirbeh"

This first level is like a purple jelly colored version of Green Greens... There's some really cool/whimsical looking stuff in the background... I could stare at and admire the graphics of the kirby games for a while they're just so good.

omg what... this purple forest area is too good, and before I even get the time to fully admire it, there's this insanely cute elephant miniboss.

wtf how can a game be this cute and good.

One thing I didn't realize up until now, but the cpu partner thing makes it REALLY easy to juggle between wanting to always keep your mainstay fav ability while still being able to try out other abilities once in a while... The elephant gives me suplex kirby, and now I can try that ability out while still keeping the sword in reserve as a cpu partner until I want to go back to it.

omg, the suplex movelist in this game is... surprisingly complex... as much as some of the Return to Dreamland moves. but they're mostly all just for style and don't affect your actual offensive ability at all.

That level ends with Purple Jelly Wispy.

Illusion Islands... it's a purple Ice Cream Island.

Kirby jumps in the boiling purple drink and swims around like it's nothing.

I think there's split paths here that may or may not be one-way only... took that path that requires a stone or hammer... kept the sword cuz I was enjoying how sword kirby looks in this game so much...

I don't care if I miss stuff at this point, like I'll take any excuse I can to replay this game through again because it's that fun.

This fire lion miniboss... it looks so cool in this game. I think this mode has been nearly all about new/returning minibosses that weren't in the original KSS.

I hit a warpstar before I was able to take fireball power...

Lolo and Lala... These single-room, mario bros arcade style minibosses are always great to see return in some form... it's such a well designed boss fight, that again I'll take any reason to replay that exact same boss fight again once in a while.

Third stage, Crash Clouds... the rainbow jellybean versions Grape Gardens?


oh and there's these green apple versions of the orange enemies, who are only
in the way and don't go after you unless you attack them first. They're trivial to take out with a couple hits with sword kirby, but as vanilla kirby they might get in the way of you sucking in another enemy near it and such, so you just gotta be a little more careful around them.

In fact, now it's gotten to the point where I'm kinda over sword for now. cutter kirby to change things up.

oh man this atmosphere in the sky background is amazing... lighting and magic striped diamond and sphere shaped crystal things shooting lightning out in space... bubbly clouds up above and down below the starry skyline, showing a galaxy ring or planet ring or something... yeah I think that's Dream Land's planetary rings in the background...

next warp star takes me to a more Fountain of Dreams looking area... still with the same background as that.

It didn't take long for me to get sword back...

this seems to be a very chill... more Dream Land 1 style mode... the levels are mostly linear, but they hide plenty of 1up/tomato secrets depending on the path you take and how thorough you are in exploring. in some cases, branching paths are one-way only, but I think they both ultimately lead to the same thing.

or maybe they don't... that would be way cooler if this was actually a mode where there are different unique level designs and/or boss fights depending on the one-way paths you take? so much damn replay value there... gonna check in a bit.

Oh man, this is definitely more Fountain of Dreams than it is Grape Gardens actually... a section where you need to use floating powers a lot to go way up... the cpu partner dies here out of incompetence lul

woop, time to swap sword for mirror and keep sword in cpu backup.

I'm not like great with mirror, but it's such a cute kirby outfit I just wanna get good at it and use this exact same power again some time (some additional optional moves each new gen installment is great too)

yep of course... I can enter the moon up above the door at the top... it's like a mario style coin heaven bonus room where kirby floats down slowly to collect all the food/1ups

... okay actually I meant fall down quickly, cuz kirby. like what is there that can kill kirby? for most kirby games, you tend to not really know of such a thing as an enemy that can kill you, until the final boss and arena mode difficulty spike.

Vs. Kracko's Revenge... sacrificed dying cpu partner to get sword back, and then the fight went from hard to easy in an instant.

wow that stage felt long... like almost world sized really.

Stage 4 Mt. Dedede Sky

...That intro cg cutscene... and this whole level... yeah it's a revisit to the sidescrolling shooter ending of Meta Knight's Revenge and keeping the same Revenge theme, but also changing it up by taking away the time limit and letting you explore at your leisure...

by now I've switched back to sword just out of habit... already no longer in the "over it" phase and wanna be sword kirby again...

Final Stage The Revenge

Pink Fountain of Dreams atmosphere... this looks so amazing I wish I had been taking screenshots. but no easy way to take screenshots of DS games.

Great King, Kabula has been defeated! What should we do?
You mean Kirby is coming here now?!
Relax, Great King! You must stay calm!
R-right... Well... Here's what we do! Kirby will be OURS!

Next is this new miniboss with a cross-shaped clock hands mustache... it gives me mic. may as well keep sword in backup.

another wheel miniboss... I wasted mic on nothing enemies just because, then just jumped around dodging attacks, while watching my item holding cpu slave battle it on its own, cuz why not.

now I'm having fun beating the wheel with sword in backup cuz why not... Phan Phan 2 pink version was still incredibly easy.
swapped wheel into cpu and took sword for the twin fire lion fight totally on purpose. now cpu carries sword while I take fireball.
I love this whole idea of a progress-based weapon selection system. It's amazing how handy this cpu partner item check ability comes in, compared to how I initially thought...
it's like you don't wanna get rid of sword? bam! have item slave hold it while you try out other powers until you get sick of not having a sword or your sword comes close to dying... it's like, juggling the sword around while fighting your way through the stage, acting like it's the key to winning or something (when normally in a Meta Knight mode, you could expect a sword be given to you right before the boss.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Fire kirby encompasses Fireball ability starting with this game..

Through each of these same looking bright pink hallways... You overhear Dedede and his minions panicking. wtf... it almost sounds like Dedede is telling his companions to go and intending to sacrifice himself to stop kirby or something.

Found the little narrow path to a tomato and 1up..

I... I shoulda saw this coming lol...

in Dedede's battle arena... Hammer sitting there saying "Grab This"... but I didn't grab it cuz I was writing this without pausing, and it disappeared and sleepy Dedede started talking. Woke metal-masked metal-hammer Dedede steps in the ring.

like half way through I noticed the upper half of the arena has electrified barrier on the outsides.
woah... okay I think I need hammer... everything else probably does too little damage... I'm sure I could learn to properly avoid every attack in this form eventually, but I don't feel the need to grind that out, because I know I'll want to play this mode again another time.

lol yeah the hammer made that fight super easy.


wow wtf this ending... Dedede and the Waddle Dee march of shame...

My high score on Revenge of the King: 1020860... not even really going for a high score, just from how I prefer to play through these games.

File is now at 86% completion.

World 7: Meta Knightmare Ultra

That cool knight's reappeared! Defeat foes to store power, then touch the screen to use abilities!. He trains as he journeys...



So this is like Milky Way Wishes mixed with Meta Knights Revenge... World 6, which was Dream Land 1 mixed with Meta Knight's Revenge and this are both 5 star difficulty.

oh wait... you actually play as Meta Knight in this? This is something I wasn't spoiled on at all wow...

Actually it's more of a Zelda 1 style inventory this time... with limited quantities of every ability on the touch screen.

Oh... I think this is... yeah, going through the Spring Breeze levels as Meta Knight.
the abilities also seem to require your sword lemonade meter to go up.. oh okay, the numbers aren't the quantity, they're the cost in sword lemonade power to use them. that makes sense.

This mode is really cute... of course meta knight's permanent sword and way more fast/acrobatic version of kirby's movement... this is basically super easy mode... but they made easy fun. making fun easy games that are full of artistic charm like this takes a ton of talent.

of course I'm going inside the moon... there's no food during the fall down, just a 1up. this mode goes way light on the healing items since you have heal ability.

That whole Spring Breeze as Meta Knight segment was LV1 of 5 in Meta Knightmare Ultra.
Between each level, a really pretty starry sky save point room, with the same kind of save points as ones in Great Cave Offensive.

Level 2 is Dyna Blade as Meta Knight.
There are split paths in the early part of Dyna Blade... but I think they're as simple as "go in the more out of the way path for better rewards" rather than the "where do I go next, where's the next thing I need to collect" feel of Great Cave Offensive (and come to think of it, I think Great Cave Offensive mirrors Dream Land 2 in its more collectable-focused and more seemingly connected nature of Kirby games (which continued with the amazing mirror, canvas games, epic yarn, etc..

I think the main thing about this that is supposed to make up for Meta Knight being OP, is that your progress doesn't save mid-world like it does when playing as Kirby.

The third part of LV2 is quite confusing actually... do all the doors just lead backwards?

obviously the point of these isn't to explore, you already did that as kirby. Meta Knight is for going fast through the levels. I haven't even been attempting to get good times yet cuz again sure I'll take an excuse to play it again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment