Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly part 2

I tried out all 3 of the haunted house modes... That was really dumb. it's just a thing where you hold A to progress through an on-rails stage, while looking around and completing certain objectives and while also trying not to shiver or fidget... It detects your shivering from the Wii's motion sensor, I guess... but it seem very inaccurate... it automatically saves photos of the moments that made you shiver the most... it's really dumb.

Then I continued with the story... Got through Chapter 3 very quickly... At this point I'm more used to the Wii controls... I'm able to get Zero shots and Fatal Frame shots a lot more consistently now... After going through that haunted house stuff I kinda got a better feel for how the gyro works in this. It doesn't quite work as good as in Skyward Sword but I can manage, and it's definitely worth playing this version over the original PS2 version just because of the vastly improved graphics and sound.

Got part of the way through chapter 4.. Just after a doll puzzle.

It's not quite as scary as the first game... Most of the ghosts so far are very predictable, and all the scariest stuff happens during cutscenes when you aren't in control.

I'm getting really into this story now... It seems like the real names of Mio and Mayu are Yae and Sae... it's still very shrouded in mystery, but I think these twins were originally supposed to take part in the crimson butterfly ritual, where the two become one in order to seal the gate to the abyss and stop a calamity from happening... Mayu is starting to regain her memory of this place, and says "we are responsible for all these people dying..."

The design/architecture of this place is amazing too... it's set up like it's made for the use of twins... I'm really starting to appreciate playing this in a 3rd person camera mode now.

While the 4th chapter dropped a ton of lore bombs, besides that it was kinda really boring. I'm with Mayu again, and I think when the two twins are together, there are a lot less ghosts and stuff attacking you.

I eventually found the key to the alternate exit of the house so that we could escape.. but then Mayu got locked in by a door that closed itself... The door has a little hole in it, and Mayu is begging Mio not to leave her alone... That's the end of chapter 4...

This part at the beginning of chapter 5 is really emotionally gripping... you have to walk away while Mayu is calling out to you to come back... by the time you get to the end of the hallway, her voice starts sounding more and more crazy and she starts laughing and shit... I think that invincible ghost I encountered before in chapter 3 was similar to how Mayu sounds here...

As soon as Mio and Mayu are separated, you can instantly tell the environment has gotten much more creepy and there are a lot more hostile and non-hostile ghost encounters.. and areas that were quiet before are now filled with all sorts of insanely scary noises and shit making you think something is going to jump out at you any minute...

I went back outside, and went back to that guy locked up in the storeroom.. he tells me about the key that can be found in the Osaka house (the first house that Mio and Mayu explored).. and something about the map I found in the previous chapter showing the way to go.

Even the outdoor part of the village feels a lot more creepy.. although I dunno I never really explored here with both characters together. When you go back up the hill to the spot that overlooks the village, there's a lot less fog and the atmosphere isn't as creepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment