Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly part 5 (Normal Mode ending)

Chapter 8... when we went to the storehouse, Itsuki was there hanging from the ceiling... Mayu stands there crying... Mio inspects the place and finds a map showing where all the pinwheels are that are needed to unlock the tunnel leading out of the village, as well as Itsuki's diary...

This whole chapter is just going around revisiting a few areas of the village to get the pinwheel items... and you can also revisit some other places and get some extra cutscenes with Mio and Mayu... Mayu says that bridge area is nostalgic and they used to play together there... and a bunch more cool story bits...

I then went to that tree cave, which now has a spirit in front of it, and the picture of that shows me the inside of the Kureha shrine. Mayu is complaining about her leg as she follows Mio up the big staircase... I defeated the ghost there that was blocking the tree... and also found a ghost image of Sae and Yae going into that area at the back of the shrine, where that door is that is covered in talismans... I figured out that door is actually where the tunnel leading out of the village is... the twins were escaping at that point.

When I went inside the tree cave, Mayu got tired and had to rest... I couldn't do anything but leave Mayu there, again... I didn't want to though because I could see where this was going...

I then went to get all the pinwheel items without Mayu... I had to battle a bunch of ghosts, all of them refights... and got some more hide n seek ghost children in Osaka house... Then went back to Mayu... surprisingly she was still there. I used the pinwheels to unlock the exit... but then suddenly as we headed for the shrine, a whole bunch of ghosts chased us... Mayu couldn't run up the stairs fast enough, and she got caught...


I already see a few possible junction points here where I could get different endings. What happens if I collect all the pinwheels without going to the tree first and keep Mayu with me? what happens if I leave Mayu behind and head for the shrine exit instead of progressing to chapter 9?

But I'm not doing that now... I'm heading straight for the Kurosawa house to rescue Mayu... this starts Chapter 9 - Crimson Butterfly

Again, a bunch more ghost refights in this place... although I think most of them are optional. The red butterflies show you the path to the altar room, and anywhere else you go is just for more items/ghost pictures as well as more ghost battles... Those annoying darkness aura ghosts are back near the well entrance, but I found there's no reason to go there at all... I just headed for the altar.

I'm now in what I thought at the time was the last room and last boss battle of the game... it's a very ominous looking room with a big ritual circle setup and sacrificial ropes that tie a person overtop of some kind of hole... The boss is just some slow ghost that circles around the room and barely does anything, but he does occasionally summon other ghost enemies that do attack you...

After that, I found a tunnel... I recognize this from one of the film reels... and Mayu's voice keeps calling out to me... as well as Sae's voice... both of them saying opposite things... Mayu wants me to leave and wants to sacrifice herself... Sae wants me to come back to her so they can become one...

Chapter Zero

This tunnel is really long, and has a LOT of those annoying darkness aura enemies... but luckily the tunnel layout makes it kinda easy to back away from them while shooting them, and there's lots of film pickups along the way... Then finally I get to the room that's in the cover image... With a bunch of candles laid out everywhere... Mayu is there for a second but then starts laughing like Sae and disappears... Then I fight what I mistakenly thought AGAIN was the last boss... It was a smoke cloud that you could barely see the ghost inside of.. you could see it better when you took a picture... and it teleports around the room and sucks you in... I also makes some really crazy distortion effect that gets more intense the closer you get to him... I was pretty sure this was the last boss because he kills you in one hit.

But no, that still wasn't it... I then went a bit further down into this hell tunnel, through some very ominous looking torii gates... and THEN I'm finally in the last room, where Mayu is... It's a big dark cave room, with some torches and a big square hole in the middle... She says she's been waiting for Mio all this time, in the dark... waiting for her to return so that they can complete the ceremony and become one. When you walk toward Mayu, she then walks toward you and kills you instantly, and you gotta take a shot at her during her fatal frame moment... then you fight what is REALLY the last boss of the game, Sae...

Okay... first of all... I have no idea how you're supposed to avoid dying from this boss... At first it's easy enough, she just stands/teleports around and laughs.. she's invulnerable to you're camera for the first little bit until enough time goes by... okay whatever... after that I'm able to stun-lock her for a bit, and take out most of her health before she actually does anything.

But then, she'll become invulnerable again, stop laughing, and start moving towards you constantly... usually I'll be able to get away when this first happens... but then because of the from-behind camera view I can't really tell how far away I am from her, so I usually just keep running until she teleports somewhere I can see her and then I can try and see if my camera works again...

This is what always happens... The camera does work again at some point, but usually as soon as I try to get out my camera to start shooting her again, she'll teleport somewhere very close to me where I don't have enough time to turn and get away, and I can't charge my camera enough to stun her, so I just die right away...

I figured out that holding Z makes the red aura and my camera charge go hyper turbo or something, and that allows me to stun lock her without having to charge... Since I'm using 90 film, I can reload right away and just keep on doing that for a while until she becomes invulnerable... Finally I managed to get a good run where I got into the stunlock a 3rd time after she gained the purple aura, and that was enough to defeat her...

That boss battle alone took like, an hour and a half...

The camera expelled the Sae ghost that was possessing Mayu... and then Mayu turns back to normal... I think? She still wants Mio to stay here with her, so they can guard the gates of hell... this ending is really weird... afterwards Mio is like a doll, and Mayu is holding her head in her lap and putting lipstick on her...

Difficulty Normal
Clear Time 12:23:21
Total Score 483701
Rank E

I barely even got like 60% of the ghost list finished...

Unlocked Hard Mode, Ghost List descriptions, and the Night Shop, which includes more camera lenses, camera enhancements I haven't gotten yet, and accessories...

No comments:

Post a Comment