Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Kirby's Return to Dream Land - high playthrough part 3

Went back to worlds 4-6 to get all the energy spheres I missed, didn't take long at all.

Dangerous Dinner

This volcano area has an amazing art style...
7-1... Used Snow Bowl ontop of a volcano... just barely beat the sphere doomer first try... had to shoot some heavy blocks at the dimensional curtain to push it back...
7-2... lava elevator... carrying a candle while floating across the water... a grey section with moving walls that crush you... beat the sphere doomer easily with Leaf power.
7-3... Weird cosmic area with sun/lava balls moving across... This art style keeps getting better....
The floor is moving in a loop... ceiling doesn't move...
Starting to get really tricky with these huge areas that expand vertically and horizontally... having Bird Kirby makes these parts way easier since you can fly a lot faster...
There's a really hard kuribo's boot section...
God damn, this boss rush where you have Ultra Sword power... it's so fun chopping down these bosses like they're normal enemies. Great way to finish this short world...
Destroyed a volcano for the last black+white section...
Barely beat the sphere doomer first try... lost water power and had to use stars. I'm not very good with water...

Before starting the final boss, I went back to 7-2 to get last Power Sphere that I missed... Now all 120 collected... Item Challenge took me like 5-6 tries but I got gold eoyj 41890 points... that challenge was really fun.

World 7 boss, Landia, the 4 headed cartoon dragon... kinda easy if you stay in a safe zone and shoot from the ground with Wing... or not... actually Leaf uppercut works well...

oh shit... after this AMAZING looking cutscene, the big twist... Magolar, the person whose ship you've been helping to repair this whole time, is the real bad guy. Landia was a good guy trying to stop him... Kirby helped him gain a crown that gives him unlimited power...
Landia picks Kirby up for a flying shmup boss battle/level... yep this is a Kirby game alright... and you just know this boss is gonna have like 3 or 4 phases.
This looks amazing... this is like the black+white dimension except in color...
The perspective goes to a slight 3D angle as I fight Lor Starcutter + Magolar... epic cutscene... the other 3 Dream Land allies and Landia all come to help... we get shot down...
Now I'm in this really hellish looking boss arena...
This Magolar boss took me like 5-6 tries, trying out different powers until I started getting good against him with the spear...
Now in this next phase it gives me all the Mega powers... Mega Flare, Flare Beam, Ultra Sword...
STILL not over... luckily there's a checkpoint before this final final phase... with sphere...
Beat it... Extra mode unlocked... Main mode file completion is at 98%
I even really enjoyed the aesthetics of the credits sequence...

Post-game

This is actually a few months later after this final high session.

Tried out Extra mode just in case there's something different... it's just a harder mode with half health, I think less defense, and all stars are hallow/half-value. I think some bosses (Sphere Doomers) are harder too...

I went back to finish 100%ing this main mode file... completed the whip, wing, and water challenges which required a mastery of these powers that I was never really that good at before in the main game...

The high jump challenge was probably the easiest one, but it was fun too... The bomb challenge I remember having a lot of trouble just getting the bronze on when I played it high. It wasn't actually that hard to get gold on once I got used to the bomb throwing controls. Finally the sword challenge... that was the most fun challenge of all of them.

Then I went and beat all the levels of the Ninja Dojo and Scope Shot. Ninja Dojo is purely timing and visual reaction. Scope Shot is a lot more interesting, you have to destroy all the weak parts of the boss before the time runs out... The last one took me a few tries but I got really good at it by the end and beat it with plenty of time to spare.

Then lastly I went and replayed the final boss battle again... that atmosphere is sooo good. I'm still not that good at this boss though and just barely made it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment