Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Yooka Laylee playthrough log part 7 (99.3% completed)

- Capital Cashino 2 -
Nothing special about any of these expanded sections, just busywork... found all the remaining pagies and ghosts easily... wow, these were all easy to find and took no time at all...
At least, that's what I thought... After going through all of the obvious expanded sections and then exchanging my tokens for pagies, I found there's still 6 pagies worth of tokes left in this level that I haven't found yet, somehow... and there's still that health extender I haven't found yet...
oh, there is that one area I still couldn't figure out how to get into. I need to find a bomb plant somewhere to destroy the blocks in the way, but I haven't seen one...
this is crazy. I'm already resorting to a guide for the last 6 pagies... found out you need to use the helicopter to break those blocks, and also use it to break all of the "out of order" slot machines to steal the tokens inside them... and also the health extender is hidden way up above the central fountain, below the chandelier.

breaking into the bank using invisibility, and deflecting the lasers to open doors, this part is pretty cool...
while flying around destroying all the slot machines, I managed to find the last 6 tokens I needed.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

but getting into here is kind of tricky. it's another one of those laser switch puzzles.. at first I was running out of energy before being able to hit all the switches in time, but then I learned how to do it quickly by facing away from the switch when turning invisible, and then come out of invisibility until the next switch to preserve energy.
wait, what... oh no! that was only 5 tokens. I'm still missing exactly 1 token. nooooooo!

luckily, the only 1 that I missed was this standalone token underneath the ramp near the house of cards. so sneaky...

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

- Galleon Galaxy 2 -
Now to do the expanded version of the last world. The unexpanded version of this was very empty and only had 3 pagies and 60-something quills to find. Now there's a ton of other things here and it's basically like a whole extra level.
First of all, that indoor area, Lunar Lockup... I was so puzzled at the electric gate here and had no idea how to get passed it.. now, in the expanded version, this battery appeared. (er, I'm not sure, maybe that battery was actually there all along and I'm just dumb and never saw it)

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

I like how all the islands are connected by the quick transport tubes out on the dock... it makes it really easy to explore. And all the islands are very recognizable if you fly up and get an aerial view.

Most of this world's pagies are easy to find/get.. just go onto each of the islands/planetoids/space stations and do some basic platforming... it's really just testing your skill with using all of your abilities.
This pirate ship is really dark inside... the captain of this ship is some corplet NPC who is afraid of shadows and doesn't want you to turn on the lights.. then you light a torch and scare him with a giant shadow to get a pagie from him.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Most of the characters here are weird frog things, but there's also another human-like character who helps you destroy a planet

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This Rusto robot puzzle... it took me a while to figure out cuz the game doesn't make it obvious that you can light the firepit inside Rusto by jumping ontop of it while Yooka is in fire resistant form. the wind made it really hard to do so that's why I kept trying to slurp it instead.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This world's Kartos minigame is the best one, just because the gravity makes you move a lot more slowly. Moving slower makes the gameplay not feel as janky, and also it gives you an opportunity to appreciate the background scenery. The scenery in this level looks really good.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

The "Velocity Terminal" area is really fun. just a series of slides with a lot of enemies and obstacles that can quickly whittle down your health.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This section is really cool. it kinda reminds me of a Mario Galaxy level. This walled in platforming tower has switches that fill the tower up with water that makes some of the platforms float up.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Even the Rextro minigame in this world is fun. It's an autoscroll flying obstacle course similar to the DKC rocket barrel levels (although nowhere near as good as those were).

On the same island as Rextro, Shovel Knight is inside a cave where he's trying to get to the treasure beyond a locked door... the keys to get passed this door are in possession of the Knights of Hamalot, and Shovel Knight gives you hints on how to take the key from each of these greedy pig knights that want you to split the treasure with them when you find it. It's more tedious than anything, since you have to keep going back to shovel knight each time to figure out how to get the next key.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This level also has a golf course section, just like the one in Capital Cashino. Except this one is significantly harder. It took me a few tries to get the ball into the hole without it falling off... the hardest part was trying to get it through that windmill...

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Went to transform into a boat again after exploring everything on foot... there's another race against the cloud character, this is kind of interesting cuz you have to use your boat's ice/rock/fire abilities at certain parts of the race to get through. There's not much challenge to it, but the boat controls really well and it's just a fun joyride around the ocean part of the world.
The boss of this level is also fought when you're in boat form. it's a small moon with an angry face, and tiny craters on its body that have all the same attacks as your boat ability. This was a really fun boss battle.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This world is great... probably my favorite level in the game, it uses all of your abilities and has some really neat puzzles and platforming. I was ALMOST able to find everything on my own, but it turns out after going everywhere, I'm still missing the red/orange ghost and 3 quills.
Used a guide to find out the red ghost is hiding in a high up part of the golf course area that you need to fly to... and I bet the quills I'm missing are some place I've been to already in the non-expanded version, and the expanded version just put some there where there wasn't any before. wow I never noticed how huge that area was until I flew around in it.

The last 3 quills... that's all I need to 100% this game... I've been everywhere in this level, and despite how thorough I've been I still managed to miss a few somehow.
lol, looks like I'm not the only one who had this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tocb0JWNJc
the last 3 quills that a lot of people miss are inside the washrooms, that you open up by ground pounding on them.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

I'm not technically 100% done yet. I still haven't found the other pirate items besides the skull in world 3. I'm wanna try and find those on my own eventually, but for now I guess I'm done playing this.
Also there's the 64 bit tonic I haven't unlocked yet, and 2 mystery achievements, but those are probably related to the pirate items I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment