Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Yooka Laylee playthrough log part 5

I found one other place I haven't been to yet in Hivory Towers.. that one toxic sludge tunnel where you need protection from the air to get through it. That's probably one of the last things I need to do in the hub world still... but I haven't figured it out yet. I have all the moves already, so there must be something I'm missing...

- Tribalstack Tropics 2 -
Finally expanded this first level. now I can try and 100% complete it. got the hungry ghost and shy ghost that I missed earlier...

Inside the Monument... omg this place is so frustrating... it's a confusing maze filled with laser turret enemies all over the place, and some of them are on slopes... it's really easy to run out of energy and start getting clobbered by lasers... it wasn't too hard though, beat it on the 2nd try. After that it plops me out on a higher part of this tower... it's like the tallest monument in the level... now I'm exploring around this tower not really knowing where I'm going... found the last ghost, the pink one... I must say having flight power makes navigating this world so much easier... I don't have to worry about falling off and having to remember out how I got up to the high places anymore.

Found Nimbo, the giant cloud. He says he can make water appear in the level, but he needs help releasing it.. it's stupidly easy, you just gotta grab a water plant and shoot water at him. then he pours water out and creates a waterfall and rainbow and fills up the river down below, the one you raised the small cloud guy on before...

On the roof of where the snake is, there's a character named planker that wants me to clean up all the rubbish flying around through the air... okay this is silly... there's just a bunch of pieces of paper flying around in the wind, but only one of them is a pagie that you need to collect. I actually went and collected all of them just to see what would happen. he just says "About time. I suppose you did an alright job. Try not to take as long next month, ok?"

Explored the outside of the monument tower... this place is really confusing.. a bunch of doors that plop you out at a random other part of the tower.. other than that it's just a bunch of easy platforming.. you can skip everything by flying, but I find that it's easier to learn your way around if you don't fly and just take the intended path up the tower... Found an easy health extender part of the way up the tower... then after that I found Kartos is just randomly sitting there on this tower for some reason, and has a little kart minigame to do... more platforming pagie challenges... I eventually got to the top of the tower and found the energy extender up at the top.

There's this one cagie pagie I still don't know how to get. near the part of the tower where you need to turn metal to get passed the wind blowing things... oh wait, you can talk to this one, and that's all you need to do to open the cage... lmao okay

A bunch more really easy pagies.. including one where Shovel Knight asks you to find a gem for him, because he's not used to this 3D environment.. there's a really sneaky quill hiding around the corner here on a narrow path that's kinda easy to miss.
Wow.. the aerial view of this level looks really cool... and after being able to fly around freely, I've gotten a lot more familiar with the layout.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Found the 4 knights of Hamalot... I already found 3 of them the first time I came here, and the 3rd one points to where the 4th knight is, at Rampo's treasure stash, which you can't get to until you extend the world. Lady Leapsalot wants the treasure for herself, but doesn't care about the pagie that's in here.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

I found the last 3 quills after defeating the boss of Tribalstack Tropics, Rampo (lmao this boss was soo easy, I would hardly even count it as a boss)... hmm, now I'm kinda lost as to where the last pagie is in this world.
oh, I see.. you actually have to go back to the Nimbo and freeze him to make the river frozen, and then go back to the small cloud character and race him on the frozen river. I admit I needed some outside help on that one, it wasn't too obvious that you needed to race him again... this race is so easy with the spindash move..

Tribalstack Tropics is now 100% complete.

- Glitterglaze Glacier 2 -

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This place is much more obvious about where the new expanded sections are... The first ice key unlocks the door at the top of the tower, which leads to Icymetric Palace. It's really fun, but confusing... it's basically like a Zelda dungeon without any map or compass... a series of puzzle/obstacle rooms in an isometric view.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

That ice monster boss was kinda tough, until I figured out a strategy to stand near the wall and hit him from the side where his ice shots can't hit me.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This one room in the ice palace actually took me a while to figure out... this is such a Zelda puzzle wow

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

This one was very Zelda-like too

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

The second ice key unlocks the door at the bottom of the tower, from underwater... it's a much smaller series of puzzle rooms, and at the end is a talking hot tub who needs you to give him some bubbles...

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

hmm... I feel like I've been everywhere, but I'm still missing 3 pagies in this world somehow, as well as 8 quills. I did find all the snowmen this time... last time I thought I had yet to find them all, but I just lost count and forgot to return one of the hats.

I'm not entirely sure that I've been everywhere in the Icymetric Palace, so I guess I'll check there again... yep I did miss something... a shoot the targets room, and then a dark room filled with a bunch of useless stuff, and a pagie that makes me complete a quiz about all the useless details in this room before it'll let me get it.

okay at this point I'm just using a guide to find these last 2 pagies... one of them is actually inside the boss area. this was stupid because after I defeated the boss, the game automatically made me exit that room and then Burnie started burning so I assumed I couldn't go in there anymore... actually there's a fire you can eat nearby that turns you immune to heat (which is another weird thing because not all fireplaces can give you this ability, only some)...

The last quills are in this room with spinning pipe platforms, and I'm not sure how you're supposed to get them other than landing on the spinning pipe and then sliding off to your death for each quill... like, okay, it's no big deal since the game just restarts you in this room with no penalty, but it's still really weird. s that really how you're supposed to do it? getting all the quills got me a pagie, and the last one is just sitting there out in the open.

- Hivory Towers 7 -
After getting all the pagies in Glitterglaze Glacier, the pagie told me we now have enough to restore the "one book" and defeat Capital B. May as well go do that now. Although there's still one pagie and one energy extender I'm missing in Hivory Towers... I feel like I've looked everywhere and the only other place I haven't gone yet (haven't figured out how to get through it), is the toxic tunnel.

Used a guide to find the last energy extender... it's very cleverly hidden, you can barely see that the nose on the Capital B statue is detachable if you actually look at it.

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

And the toxic tunnel... damn I dunno why I didn't think of this... I totally forgot about the sonar shield ability I learned in world 5.

Capital B's office...

Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Capital B is the only decently challenging boss in the game.. I can't figure out how to deal with his bee swarms other than using sonar shield and sitting still until they go away. The 2nd phase is pretty hard, cuz there's no safe opportunity to take aim and shoot him, you just gotta jump around and shoot while dodging... On his 4th phase, my sonar shield strategy doesn't work since he's constantly stomping at you while bees are chasing you.. I guess sonar splosion works better actually, even though it takes a while too... the last phase is really fun, you gotta fly around and get the homing missiles to hit him instead... only thing hard about it though is when you gotta land to recharge energy, and you almost certainly get hit when you do that.

That ending was weird... Since Capital B failed, the duck is now above him on the corporate ladder... he's about to try and fight Yooka Laylee and stop us from getting the book back, but then that Blastooie guy comes and blasts them both into the book...

Yooka-Laylee screenshot

Now at 20 hours played, 101/145 pagies, 743/1010 quills, 8/12 extenders, 4/5 rextro tokens, and 19/25 ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment