Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Metroid Zero Mission high playthrough log part 3 (post-game)

- Chozodia 2 -

Going backwards through Chozodia now.. so far I'm having no luck finding any stuff I've missed. No idea how to get to that one little gray area near the top.

Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot


II re-explored the entire pirate ship section, and back at the outside of the pirate ship, at the bottom right green area where I first started this section suitless.
Maybe I'll have better luck finding the way to those gray areas from the west green area (the "Chozo Ruins part of Chozodia, he blue part I guess is the inside of the pirate ship)
... yep, as soon as I went to that western green area, I realized I just had to use power bomb on that tube to get outside, and from there I could easily get back to Crateria.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot


I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to get through that one speed booster wall in the upper right shaft of Chozo Ruins.. then I realized you can jump while in a shinespark charge if you do a running jump. It's still really hard though.. like the hardest shine spark puzzle yet so far.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



- Crateria 2 -

There's actually 2 entrances into Chozodia from Crateria. The upper one leads to a place where you can charge a shine spark, and then bring it through to Crateria to get through all the speedboost blocks there that I was always confused about earlier.
I got a bit stuck on figuring out how to bring a shine spark charge over to the speedboost wall on the west side of Crateria. Then I realized there's speedblocks all around the Norfair/Crateria elevator, and a couple of power bomb blocks you can now get rid of to do a speedboost from the other side of that. Holy hell this is extremely picky though. You have to do a diagonal morph ball shine spark at an exact position, took me like 15 tries.

Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



Also I just noticed Samus's ship isn't sitting in its usual spot in Crateria anymore... good attention to detail.
hmm.. I got everything in Crateria now, but I'm still wondering what's on the other side of the Brinstar/Crateria elevator.. if you can even go up that way. I have space jump so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to. I wonder if you'd be able to go back into Tourian? Probably not since it's all destroyed.

- Norfair 3 -

only missing 2 items in here. No idea where though.. I resorted to using an online map to find the green rooms I was missing.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



what the hell... there's this whole big green vertical shaft covering the whole east side of Norfair, and it has nothing in it except an enemy farm... I guess it would've been useful to find this before when I first came here. As of now I'm practically invincible though so there's no need for this.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



one of the places I missed in Norfair was in a lava section, and I only missed it cuz I was in a hurry since I didn't have the gravity suit yet. also you need the space jump too so yeah, post-game thing.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



wow wtf... above the map room in Norfair there's actually a secret passage that leads to a save point on the east side of Kraid's Lair.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot

You need power bombs to take this shortcut though, so it's only here as a way to make post-game exploring more convenient. It's not really much of a shortcut in my case though, since I still have to go clean up Ridley's Lair. Both of the things I'm missing in Kraid's Lair are right near the Brinstar elevator, so I'll just get that when I'm going to clean up the last few things in Brinstar.

- Ridley's Lair 2 -

missing 4 things here, damn
2 of the items I missed were in a big puzzle room that makes use of a bunch of advanced techniques. I didn't get to this before because I didn't know about being able to jump while keeping your shine spark charge, so I had no idea how to get passed those speedboost blocks at the bottom left of Ridley's Lair.
and the other 2... were in another puzzle room, blocked by another similarly tricky speedboost wall. these were all really hard..

Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



- Kraid 2 -
missing 2 things in Kraid.. I only see where one of them is though. I remember that one, I needed the gravity suit so I could morphball shine spark in the sand pit.
the other one I'm missing though... that was so sneaky... a fake wall in a save room.. you can just barely see how it's hinted at.. I don't know if I would've found it if not for the online map I'm using.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot



- Brinstar 3 -
I'm pretty sure I already know one of the 1 item I'm missing is... beneath the Brinstar/Crateria elevator... oh wait no, that's just a morphball launcher that sends you to Crateria... hmm..
ah... this is easy to miss. another morph ball launcher hidden in the ground, right near the Kraid elevator.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot


nothing much to see up in the Crateria Brinstar entrance.. it's just the other side of that tunnel blocked by a rock (which you can now destroy with power bombs.
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot

oh, also it turns out you can go back to Tourian.. in fact there are a couple items to get there that I'm missing, wtf

- Tourian 2 -
one of these 2 post-game items is easy to find, but the other one, wtf... I had to check a guide to figure out that you had to start speedboosting and then space jump through the Mother Brain room while still speedboosting, I had no idea you could even do that...
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot


also, just realized I'm still missing 1 thing in Chozodia.. used the online map to find the one green spot I missed right before Mecha Ridley...
holy moly..
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot Metroid Zero Mission screenshot

this last energy tank is the hardest item to get in the game. you have to do a really tight speedboost jump to get through the speedboost blocks, and then do a bunch of really tight space jumps between security lasers to get to the energy tank without getting caught and activating the security door.. I don't even know how many tries it took me.

finally 100% completed in... over 6 hours, lmao I suck
Metroid Zero Mission screenshot


After playing both this and Metroid 1 back to back, I appreciate both games a lot more now. I don't think this game makes Metroid 1 obsolete, like a lot of people say. Metroid 1 still has its own unique feel to it, and it's almost an entirely different game than Zero Mission, despite having the same story. The level designs are only similar in basic layout, but even the layout doesn't match exactly, and the content of all the rooms is almost nothing like what playing through the equivalent rooms in Metroid 1 is like. Also the screw attack and other late game equipment breaks Zero Mission way too much, to the point where literally nothing is a threat to you anymore. I guess that's the whole point of Samus's full powered suit though. I like that you don't get Samus's full powered suit until after the point when the original Metroid 1 ended, so it keeps everything that happened in Metroid 1 canon while seemlessly adding more to the story... so yeah I think that all the 2D Metroid games are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment