Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Fatal Frame playthrough log part 2

These ghosts start to get really hard at the 2nd chapter... Especially the ones that constantly cry out "my eyes, my eyes..."

I found that I can kinda cheese them a bit if I keep taking uncharged pictures of them without giving them much of a chance to move... but I don't gain many points from that... I still need a LOT more points to unlock the camera's special functions. I'm at range level 3 now which helps a lot... except for those wanderer ghosts that run by really fast, too fast for me to react..

The puzzles aren't repeating too much. The 2nd chapter has some different puzzles that the 1st didn't have...

I'm getting really into the story now... I found out the story behind the ghost women crying out "my eyes"... they were sacrificed in a blinding ritual, where they had to put on a mask with spikes in the eye sockets...

I was stuck for a while, and got to the point where I now know my way around this mansion pretty well... I had to check a guide to see where to go next, and going there activated a cutscene so that I could find the next important item to open up the next new area...

Battled a really hard boss ghost after finding the mask of reflection.. This ghost constantly teleports away, and is only visible for a split second at a time... I was able to recognize the sound it makes when it teleports so that I know when to run away, but I still ended up losing some health items.

I'm really into this game now... enough that I can look past the early ps2 era flaws like bad hit detection on the walls and stuff...

10/26/2016

End of 2nd night - Demon Tag... I finally have the blinding mask that can open the door in that ominous demon mouth room...

Had to fight a couple of really hard ghosts before that.. an annoying teleporting one in an area where you have barely any space to run around, and a blind demon...

When the door opened, the girl got visions of another person also opening this door and then getting sucked in by a ton of ghosts...

When you go in, it's quiet at first... you see the dead person from your visions on the ground... He's holding another piece of the holy mirror... Then you get attacked by a bunch of ghosts and wake up somehow back in the demon room...

3rd night - Calamity

If you go back into that demon hallway, you can get a hidden ghost there, but if you go too far in you get attacked by multiple ghosts at once. I don't think you can kill all of them, you'll just die no matter what... Although maybe if I had more powerful (and more plentiful) film I might be able to get through it...

Actually, that multi-ghost fight in the demon hall is supposed to be beatable... They aren't very hard individually, but 3 of them together are a pain. Sometimes you can get a double shot or triple shot with all 3 of them in the frame for more points.

That hallway leads to a dead end... The girl sees her brother again, passed a caved in wall, but he doesn't respond when she calls out to him...

Other than that, this whole chapter contained exactly 0 new areas... and also almost no wandering ghosts at all (I think there was 1 total).

It did have a LOT of attacking ghosts though... They seem to appear randomly, but get less and less common as you fight them. or maybe there's a set number of them that randomly appear... A lot of these random ghosts are really easy ones like the ones from the 1st chapter, but sometimes you get this really hard traveling monk ghost that spins in circles really fast and shoots projectiles at you...

I basically just re-explored the whole mansion, collecting all the items that I could. I desperately needed more film and healing items. I tried not to use up too many healing items but the sheer number of attacking ghosts in this chapter made it impossible...

Only one area that I've been to before is now locked... That shrine in the atrium outside... I eventually found the key for it by solving a puzzle with the 4 buddha statues... and that locked door was another one of those matching puzzles, harder than usual... Inside the moon shrine there was now a bunch of button terminals. 4 of them... Each had a picture leading to one of the 4 big stone/grave monuments that I've been to in previous chapters... So I had to go to each of these 4 places and fight 4 priest ghosts, They are kinda hard... sometimes they remove their head so you can't take their picture but you can still see them.. and then they put their head back on right before they're about to attack.

Oh yeah that's a thing I've started getting better at now... Shooting a ghost when the reticle turns orange, when they are coming in for an attack, gives you bonus points and also pushes the ghost back.

I now have MOST of the camera upgrades... The guide says I should have all of them by now but I missed so many wandering ghosts in the first 2 chapters... I've gained enough points to buy the paralysis special attack... it turns out to not be that good. You have to be aimed on the ghosts when you use a special or else it won't work and will still use up a stone.

Went back to the mirror shrine after defeating those 4 boss ghosts... I didn't understand how you were supposed to interpret the puzzle clues but I brute forced it easily... That made some altar come up out of the moon shrine... but instead of a thing that was supposed to be inside it, there was a bunch of blood revealed by the camera... The blood trail lead me to a previous area in the mansion, and there I had to battle the samurai ghost... This guy was insanely hard. I was all out of healing items by now, and had to use my strongest film and just barely survived on the 2nd attempt.

I'm still not even sure if that was the last battle of this chapter... I hope so because there are NO healing items available anymore in this chapter. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to take this item I got from the samurai ghost back to the moon shrine next.

No comments:

Post a Comment