Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Yooka Laylee playthrough log part 2

- Glitterglaze Glacier 1 -

This place is also very confusing, like the 1st level.. except this level has several doorways that lead through some cave to an upper section of the level.. It feels very big and intimidating at first, but it's actually not that hard to find my way around once I spent a couple hours here... I can find the squid girl and trowzers very easily since they are at the bottom sections where the big lake is, and from there I can easily get to each of the upper sections and the various caves.

Found a minecart character named Kartos.. played his minigame for a pagie.. it's basically just a sidescrolling minecart section where you have to collect a certain number of gems and avoid enemies. you can also shoot bullets out of the cart.. the controls for this feel kinda sloppy and nowhere near as good as the DKC games. at least the music is good.

I got the spring jump move and a move that lets you slurp certain items to gain an elemental status.. so for example this one cold area, I needed to slurp some fire to become warm to get through it, and then light all the torches with my fire status to make the place warm. In the upper section after this part, I found that british skeleton girl and her boiling pot friend again.. and fought some more enemies to get a pagie from her.

The squid girl here transforms you into a snow plough once you find this level's mollycool. This form is only used to destroy certain piles of snow that have hat items underneath them, and they need to be returned to the various snowman characters around the level that are missing their hats. I managed to find and return all the hats to all the snowmen I could find, but didn't get anything for it.. I'm guessing there will be more of them in the expanded version.

Found an underwater cave that leads to a dark platforming section. you can use the glowy plants to make yourself glow for some extra visibility, but it's not really required. I found this section pretty easy, it's all about learning to control your speed in rolling mode so that you have enough precision to not fall off but also don't go slow enough to run out of energy.

Also there's a new slurpable bullet plant here that lets you shoot bullets that can break certain blocks... and some kind of cannonball plant that makes you heavy so that wind blowing enemies don't affect you.

I'm pretty good at the platforming in this game, but I'm still having trouble with the enemies, I keep dying a lot because of how often some of the enemies make themselves invulnerable and hurt you if you try to attack them. I guess it's better to just ignore the enemies most of the time since they infinitely respawn, but sometimes I need to get them out of the way so I can focus on looking around. Also this level has some slippery surfaces and snowy surfaces where you can't move fast, but I never found that to be a problem.

I managed to find 8/25 pagies, 147/200 quills, 3/5 ghosts, and 1/2 extenders in the non-expanded version of this level, as well as the energy extender. There are a couple puzzles I still don't know what to do with, like this arrangement of icicles where I guess you have to make them glow somehow in a certain order.. and I still don't know how to obtain the shy ghost or the hungry ghost.

- Hivory Towers 3 -
Remembered that Trowzer said to meet him in the Archives room later, and that's where I found him and learned the underwater bubble ability, it lets you walk underwater and not need air. you have the same moveset as out of water, except you're slower and have weird traction.
Used that to open up the way to the 3rd section of Hivory Towers, an area filled mostly with water. There are some pagies here I can't get yet, including one that thinks I'm a corplet and runs away from me, and one that's trapped behind a door that closes whenever I go near it. The 3rd grand tome is in this area.. also there's a passage that leads to a shortcut back to the first room of Hivory Towers.
I went back to re-explore outside of Hivory Towers, and found a couple more pagies and an energy extender.

Total for Hivory Towers at this point is 9/20 pagies, and 1/2 extenders.
Now at 5 and half hours of play time... overall total is 26/145 pagies, 267/1010 quills, 2/12 extenders, 1/5 play tokens, 2/5 mollycools, and 5/25 ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment