Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Yooka Laylee playthrough log part 4

- Galleon Galaxy 1 -

First thing I noticed about this level is it's very heavy on the purple and blue... also it seems to be made up of a bunch of small islands with a ton of uninhabitable water that hurts you in between. This level definitely expects you to make use of your recently acquired flight ability.
Flying is a bit awkward in this game. I guess it's intentional though, because in exchange for being able to fly anywhere, they made controlling where you go with it more challenging.
By now, I've learned this game's rule about Trowzers always being in the most direct path from where you start the level. I found him right away this time, and got the sonar shield ability. It's like the wonderwing ability from BK, except it doesn't use up its own special collectible resource, instead it just uses up energy.
I like that I've never been low on quills throughout the entire game, so I've always been able to buy every available move as soon as I meet Trowzers.

This level has a lot of blue forcefields that get in your way, and the sonar shield is useful for getting passed them easily..
wtf, I found the transformation device, but Dr. Puzz is gone...
then I went up to the top of a glass tube lighthouse and activated the light, which enabled Dr. Puzz to find her way here. also that cutscene conveniently showed the location of this world's mollycool... this'll be the last transformation in the game I believe...

hmm... I found a room called "Lunar Lockup" where I need to activate 3 switches to unlock a pagie.. it gives you access to like every single temporary lizard gulp power... also the hungry ghost was in this room, and I finally figured out that you have to shoot a projectile at the hungry ghost in order to collect it. now I know how to get all of the ghost writers... I figured out my way to 2 of the switches in this room but the 3rd one has me stumped. there's a red thunder symbol on a pad and an unbreakable wall... but there's no way to get a thunder elemental as far as I know... maybe I have to come back here with the transformation.
...nope, that's not it. Dr. Puzz transforms you into a boat, that you can only travel on the sea with. this boat form has a speed boost, flamethrower, grenade launcher, and ice launcher. you can destroy all the various rocks on the ground level with this form.
lol, I tried sailing off towards the edge of the level, and I literally fell off the edge of the world. I was expecting an invisible wall or something, but not that.

I really like how the ocean looks in this level... it's very mirror-like...

found another indoor area with red forcefields that insta kill you.. they're very easy to avoid with sonar shield though.. got to the pagie trapped in a cagie at the end, and he couldn't figure out how to free himself even though we solved the challenge.. so instead he just slipped out between the bars
lol, stealing jokes from Paper Mario

uhh... now I don't really know what to do. it seems the non expanded version of this level is very small.. only consists of 3 islands and a hollow meteor you can fly to... I think I've been everywhere, and all I could find so far is 3 pagies, 3 ghosts, 65 quills, and an energy extender... is there nothing else I can do here for now?

- Hivory Towers 6 -
I realized that windy tunnel near the 5th grand tome, you can just get through that using repeated spindashes. it's a bit annoying though because the camera keeps wanting to change whenever I slightly change my angle.. and there are security laser turrets along the way that ruin my momentum if they hit me and make me fall back a lot.

I also found another room along the toxic river path that you can get to with flying... there's a little challenge here where you gotta burst all the colored balloons flying around, and collect the "PAGIE" letters that drop out of each one. popping the white balloons only makes flying enemies appear..
I found a couple more pagies that I was able to get now using the spindash to break glass...
now I'm at 19/20 pagies and 1/2 extenders in Hivory Tower.
I have a feeling at least one of the things I'm missing will come from getting the high score on every Rextro minigame.. but I have no idea where the other thing I'm missing might be. I've tried flying around everywhere, and it seems like I've found everything I can at this point... I'm not entirely certain though, because of all the arbitrary invisible walls all over the place, it's really hard to tell where the borders of each area are.

Overall totals: 67/145 pagies, 600/1010 quills, 4/12 extenders, 3/5 play coins, 5/5 mollycools, 14/25 ghosts, and around 14 hours played...
Also I confirmed that I have all of Trowzer's moves now, from the achievements.. so yeah either there's more stuff to explore after the 100 pagie requirement or there's just a couple things I missed in the hub.
oh and I got one of the pirate treasure items, which is one of the 3 mystery achievements.
Next I'm gonna start exploring the extended version of each world as well as collecting the stuff from each world that I couldn't get the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment