Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Breath of the Wild first playthrough log part 19 (Final)

First playthrough commentary: Part 19 (final)

Now at 165 hours played, 53.10% map completion... only a couple shrines left... Maybe I can find them all without a guide after all...

I will probably need a guide for some of these last few sidequests though.

Next I went to do some more Zora's Domain quests... This one where you have to find all the Zora lore writings... I'm actually very interested to see if I can do this one on my own. It seems like all of these monuments are located in places that don't require any climbing, so going with that assumption (which turned out to be correct, sort of), this sidequest becomes very doable. I just had to walk through the Zora's River path again, and explore all of the side paths until I can't go any further without climbing, then go back to where I was and continue... I also had to do this at the areas that the 2 other bridges from Zora's Domain go to.

#5: The sage Ruto
#4: The Lightscale Trident, Mipha's gift
#1: The creation of Zora's Domain 10,000 years ago.
#3: The queen created the white scale, used to create the royal weapons, it reflects sunbeams.
#2: Lanayru rainfall every 10 years, the creation of the reservoir.
#6: Vah Ruta
Addendum #1: Dorephan threw a guardian into the ravine
#7: Zora helm, from the hylian's fight with a Lynel, hidden north of --- in the ruins near ---- Lake

For the last one, I went to talk to Jiahto and he gave me a hint that there's one I haven't found at the southeast cliff of Upland Zorana. This one was pretty tricky... just to the right, passed the west bridge at Zora's Domain, but you do have to climb a bit to get to it unlike the other ones. This last one was the words of the person who carved the monuments.

It turns out I didn't need to memorize any of the info on these monuments. I thought I was gonna be quizzed or something...

I used elimination to find the Zora Helm in a chest in Toto Lake, right at the top of the giant waterfall behind the domain. I finally have the full set of Zora armor, and can now swim a bit faster... but still not nearly as fast as when you go up waterfalls for some reason.

Now I've caught up with everything in my Adventure Log... but according to the totals numbers (which I think only appear after you beat the game), I'm still missing 4 sidequests, and 3 shrine quests. There's also all the compendium stuff to fill out (I'm mostly missing a bunch of identical looking birds and insects and stuff), and whatever pieces of armor and upgrades I'm still missing... and besides that, there will pretty much always be more koroks and treasure chests I have yet to find.

I still can't figure out this glowing pedestal puzzle near Kakariko. Obviously you need the glowing orb from Impa's house, but Paya won't let you have it.

One of these Kakariko sidequests that I had to use a guide for, can only be triggered at night. I guess I just wasn't thorough enough in talking to everybody at night. The lonely arrow shop girl wants me to bring her some fireflies.

After doing this, I triggered some dialog changes with Paya and Impa's guards, starting the "Stolen Heirloom" sidequest. The someone stole the glowing orb from Impa's house.
(Oh I get it, this sidequest only triggers after you've completed all the other Kakariko sidequests).
This is a really neat quest. I'm hiding up in a tree, paying close attention to all the villagers, trying to find out which one is the thief. I noticed Lasli acting suspicious, walking around with some text bubbles over her head... I followed her into the Kakariko graveyard... she goes here to meet her boyfriend, and gets insulted when Link accuses her of being the thief.

Also, some time earlier I followed the little girl character Koko to this graveyard, where she goes to cry for her mother every morning before going back home and acting like normal. This was a really neat bit of flavor text, reminds me of some of the best sidequests in the Zelda series, like in MM and WW.

Another suspicious person, the old woman Mellie, is sneaking around stealing carrots at night... nope that's still not the heirloom thief... lol this sidequest is great.
Then finally I saw one of Impa's guards, Dorian, acting suspicious, and I followed him up passed the shrine, heading towards where the glowing pedestal is, and saw a cutscene. It turns out that Dorian, the father of Koko and Cottla, was a former Yiga Clan member, but then he betrayed the Yiga, and they killed his wife as punishment... Then, in order to protect his kids, he was forced to work undercover for the Yiga to spy on the shiekah and the hero... Wow, this is the best sidequest in the game... This story is SO good. Of course, Link then confronts the Yiga and forces them to back off. Then I get the glowing orb back and reveal the 2nd last shrine.

btw I didn't mention this, but Paya has some character development throughout the game, as she starts out being really embarrassed around Link, and gets more and more comfortable around him as you progress through the Kakariko sidequests. And this is further detailed in Paya's journal.

The last shrine quest that I have yet to find... I pretty much needed a guide. It was the "Cursed Statue" sidequest that I overlooked near Fort Hateno. I probably would've found this on my own if I had ever taken the main straightforward path from Kakariko to Hateno. There's this guy living in a cabin near here, who goes out every day to investigate these strange statues... but he never leaves his cabin during the day, and only when it's raining out. In order to even find this cursed statue place, I had to follow the researcher there... Then I just waited around until night, when one of the statues eyes started glowing. It was obvious what to do after reading the hints that were provided. I really shouldn't have needed a guide to find this, but it just turns out that I never happened to come here.

The Trial of Passage... this is a really fitting final shrine. It's a really cool looking rotating platform puzzle. The monk in this shrine gave me the final sidequest, to head to the Forgotten Temple for a prize... The Tunic of the Wild.

I then bought all the different equipment/weapons from the Akalla Tech Lab and Kilton's shop, just to try them out.


The only thing left now is to casually search for treasure chests and koroks, and the last few wildlife compendium entries I haven't found yet (there's also the option of just buying all the compendium entries from the Hateno Tech Lab).

All the shrine quests and sidequests are now done. I can say at this point I'm satisfied with putting this game into the "Completed" status.

I find it's kinda fun to just wander around with the shiekah sensor set to treasure chests, and following the signal and using magnesis to search around for chests I hadn't found yet, while also looking out for more koroks I missed, and more things I need for my compendium and materials I need for armor upgrades... Even though I don't need ANY of this stuff at all, for some reason it feels satisfying just clearing them out and gradually progressing towards true 100% completion.

This new patch that just came out improves the framerate, I think... I still want to upgrade to the switch version eventually though for dat resolution and sound quality.

I just noticed you can see flooded ruins under Lake Akalla... wow, there's STILL cool stuff I'm discovering in this game, even after all this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment