Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Monday, March 6, 2017

Breath of the Wild first playthrough log part 4

First playthrough commentary: Part 4

Some kids hanging out around Hateno Lab, are gossiping about a little girl that supposedly lives in that lab now...

That little girl is actually the lab director, Purah. She asks Link if he remembers any dreams from when he was asleep... she seems to know a lot about him... in fact she was the one who put Link to sleep in that chamber... she says you need to bring the blue flame from the furnace over to this lab in order for her to restore the Shiekah Slate... She's too embarrassed to go out and get the blue flame herself because of how she looks now.

lol her diary is amusing... she experimented on herself with a de-aging potion and that's why she has the body of a kid now... her room has little ladders so that she can reach all the high shelves.

That blue flame sidequest was easy... all the blue flame torches are laid out in a way that guides you to where you need to go to get between the furnace and the lab.
Gained the Camera, Hyrule Compendium, and Memory album... The camera already has a bunch of photos that were taken by Zelda... Those photos are the key to Link regaining his lost memories... I also found out there are a few more Shiekah Slate functions I can get by going to the lab in Akalla. I recall hearing about the Akalla region in the northeast near Death Mountain and Zora's Domain, but I haven't gone there yet.

Oh wow, the upgraded Shiekah Sensor is amazing... you can set it to search for any of the items in your compendium, including treasure chests. This compendium thing is like the figurine quest in Wind Waker, except WAY better.

Purah says to go talk to Impa again to get more info on the memory photos. I found the Necluda tower and unlocked the map of this region, and then headed back to Kakariko... it was then that I noticed the path between Kakariko and Hateno is actually very simple and straightforward. I didn't need to do all that slow mountain climbing from Zora's Domain down to Hateno... I could've just taken the road and followed the directions on the signs to get here easily.

I showed that painter guy, Pikango, where the Great Fairy is... now he gives you tips on where to find the locations shown in the memory photos. He tells me about the one near the Lanayru East Gate... oh yeah, I recognize that place. I went there right away and got the memory where Zelda and all the champions are together when they see Calamity Ganon appear at the castle, and they're about to go and start their counter-attack.

Went back to Impa after getting one of the memories back, and she gave Link the Blue Tunic. Wearing this shows the enemy's health points.

The camera upgrade has significantly changed the way I play this game now. I'm being way more observant of the environment while I'm exploring, in order to try and take pictures of everything in order to get their names/descriptions in the compendium.

Next, I explored north of Hateno some more... I tried fighting that Lynel enemy again... I threw everything I had at it, including my fully powered Wolf Link amiibo... and just barely defeated it after losing all my fairies. I now have enough shock arrows to go take care of Vah Ruta. I guess going up to that specific Lynel on Ploymous Mountain isn't necessary.

I still want to explore more around Hateno though... Next I went southeast... The mountains around here all have giant bone structures all over the place... To the west I saw the giant green dragon flying around for the first time. At that point I just had to explore that area...

I started following the southern shoreline, and then I ended up in Lurelin Village, a tropical oceanside village...

The painter guy Pikango is here now... he tells me about the memory image near Hyrule Castle.
There's a Gerudo character living here... and a bunch of other characters that talk about fishing and other boring stuff... there's a classic chest-guessing minigame... One NPC talks about this really mysterious island called Eventide Island. You can see it from here... I didn't have a leaf at the time to go rafting (and it also didn't occur to me at that time that you can easily traverse any body of water with Cryonis)

Went further west... no idea where I am now... I seem to be going into a jungle area... There are really high, steep cliffs surrounding the part of the jungle where the tower is, and where I saw that huge dragon go down into... It's been thunderstorming here for a while... I think it might be because of that thunder dragon.

Came across that couple of NPCs who got attacked by bokoblins before... here they got attacked again. They say they're looking for a rare flower called the Silent Princess, because of some rumor about how it affects relationships.

The environmental noises in this jungle area are really amazing... I think I hear monkey noises? wtf are there monkeys in this game? Oh, nevermind it was bokoblins making that noise.

There we go, I found a waterfall I can swim up, to get up to the higher level of land. Found a bridge that goes straight to Faron Tower.

Then I got to Floria Bridge... wow this place is really beautiful... All those waterfalls in the background... kinda reminds me of how Lake Floria in Skyward Sword had a bunch of waterfalls in the background.
WOAH WTF... the thunder dragon came up REALLY close to me as I was on this big bridge... It's shooting lightning balls at me... I tried to fight it but it seems nothing affects it. I obviously can't ride this thing... I barely managed to escape with 1 heart left...

Got to Lakeside Stable... Some really interesting dialog here.
Legends say a dragon god split the mountain in half to forge the way through, and that's how it became Dueling Peaks.
There's something strange at the top of Lake Floria's waterfall.
With the Faron region's map filled out, I now have the entire central to southeast quadrant of the world map... I'm still missing 1 or 2 towers in the northest, and still missing everything on the west side.

From Faron Tower I can see the next 2 towers to the west from here...

I followed that NPC's advice and went up the Floria waterfall, I think... Mount Floria is a really high vantage point... can see so far from here... like the entire southern half of Hyrule is visible... I can see that blue shrine at the top of Dueling Peaks even... and of course I can see Death Mountain, still towering over everything else in the world.

Got a photo of Farosh, the thunder dragon, as it was coming out of Riola Spring...

Avoided a Lynel fight, went to explore more of the forest... Now I'm on the hunt for a shrine that I hear the signal of, but I can't seem to find it... I heard some really peculiar music, and got distracted by that instead of trying to find the shrine... the music was coming from the accordian-playing rito, Kass. He's surprised that I made it up here in this rain... He tells me a riddle in the form of an "ancient song of the hero"
A lost hero calls down lightning from the sky.
I knew what to do immediately... dropped a metal sword ontop of the big weird looking rock, and lightning comes down and destroys it and reveals the shrine.

I am loving this variety in the environments... can't wait to play more. My plan now is to do the Zora dungeon tomorrow, then explore the points of interest around Floria Tower, and from there I'll go around in a full loop, activating all the remaining towers and exploring any villages and other things that catch my interest. Also don't hesitate to revisit regions I've already been to when necessary. Any time I start a main dungeon quest, I'll focus on that before moving on to the remaining towers... don't bother with the memories or other sidequests unless I come across them by accident.

So if my guess is correct, the order I do things in will look like this:
- Plateau part 1, West Lanayru part 1, Kakariko Village
- West Lanayru part 2, Great Forest part 1, Hyrule Castle part 1
- Hylia River stables, horse training, Hyrule Field part 1, Zora's River/Zora's Domain, East Lanayru part 1, Necluda part 1, Hateno Village
- East Lanayru part 2, Necluda part 2, Lurelin Village, Faron part 1
- Zora dungeon. northeast Hyrule, Akkala
- southwest Hyrule, Gerudo dungeon
- west Hyrule
- northwest Hyrule, Rito dungeon
- north Hyrule
- Eldin, Goron dungeon
- Hyrule Castle part 2, then continue exploring every region and finding more and more secrets

No comments:

Post a Comment