Many SPOILERS are contained throughout these posts. You have been warned!

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Breath of the Wild first playthrough log part 2

I just did the combat training shrine in Kakariko. Flurry rush is such a fun mechanic...

Explored around, and found a Fairy Fountain... wow that was easy to find.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

But the fairy says she needs to be gifted a ton of rupees before she'll help anybody... jeez, typical woman.

Then as I walked out of Kakariko, in this dark canyon path I talked to a travelling NPC that turned out to be a Yiga Clan member. At first he offers Link to join, but then when he realizes Link is on the side of good, he takes off his disguise and attacks. He dropped a bunch of rupees as I defeated him... then I went back to town, decided to sell some more stuff in order to get enough rupees for the Great Fairy... now she offers you clothing/armor upgrades in exchange for certain materials.

Then I explored north of Kakariko... at this big shallow lake area with a bunch of Lizalfos enemies hanging out... I got to a shrine called "Sunken Scoop", and it looked like something where you needed a diving ability so I went back and left it for later... only later I realized it's not a diving shrine, it's about using magnesis to interact with stuff under the water.

These Lizalfos aren't very hard thanks to my new defense upgrades... I also fought my first Wizzrobe here... got a lightning rod.

Then suddenly, a zora called out to me... she says Prince Sidon is looking for a Hylian, and she points me toward Inogo Bridge, where Prince Sidon currently is.
Another zora near a shrine, says basically the same thing, to go a bit up Zora's River to get to Inogo Bridge... There's no quest marker for this, so the game just expects you to use pins or remember where to go... I've been spotting so many shrines that my pins are almost always fully used up.


Next I climbed up Lanayru Tower... the whole area around this tower is an enemy stronghold, so even just getting up to it was a challenge.
lol there's a zora stuck ontop of this tower. He was sleeping here when the towers rose up out of the ground.

Noticed these Phantom Hourglass references on the map around here... Mercay Island, Linebeck Island...

Found a combat trial just outside Zora's Domain... that mini guardian battle was much tougher than the Kakariko one... had to use a speed elixer when it started doing charged shots at me... barely clutched it.

Prince Sidon says Zora's Domain is in great danger because of the divine beast Vah Ruta causing a non-stop rainfall... The entire path to Zora's River is drenched in endless rain, making it too difficult to climb...

I decided to wait until later to do this Zora story mission part... more exploring... Death Mountain is north of Lanayru Tower... I think I see a graveyard from up on a mountain where a Korok is.

Wow... Death Mountain looks insanely high up from here... It feels almost as ominous as Hyrule Castle.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

Nearby I found a big tree ontop of a hill, kinda reminds me of the moon area in Majora's Mask... here's there's a guy selling shields, and challenging you to try out shield surfing... but surfing on this grassy hill degrades your shields very fast... nice scam you got going there.

Next I did a shrine near the bottom of Death Mountain... "Tempered Power". That optional chest in this shrine was ridiculously hard to get... got the Giant Ancient Core from it.

Found a horse stable between Zora's River and Hyrule Ridge... I got some info on the "Great Hyrule Forest", this place sounds very mysterious... And learned that Akalla is to the east of here, and that Akalla's road is the best way to approach Death Mountain. Hyrule Field is south of here, past Crenel Hills...
I've seen too many youngin's headed to Hyrule Field, only to never come back.
I guess Hyrule Field is the center region where the castle is... and the closer you get to it, the harder the enemies get.
Great Hyrule Forest is north of here...
There's something dangerous hiding inside those lost woods.
Someone else sleeping here, says Hyrule Castle is full of abandoned treasure, and he thinks nobody comes back from there only because they're too busy being rich...
Also Beedle is here, selling some random stuff...

Next I went to the Hyrule Forest tower. Woah, I ran around in a thunderstorm while wearing a metal shield, and just barely realized I had to take it off before being zapped... I tried to approach Hyrule Forest, but I was just bordering a moat ontop of a huge hill, and there were wolves circling around me and stuff... this atmosphere is intense... it feels like I'm not supposed to approach this way at all...

There's the tower overlooking the Forest... this will help a lot.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

Wow, getting to this tower isn't easy... It's surrounded by tar that you can't swim through... had to do some platforming after taking care of the enemies.

Huh... this tower has a large wall on the one side of it, blocking you from getting a good view of the mysterious forest... this is intriguing...
I started circling around the forest area some more. I see a big pink tree in the middle that stands out among the foggy woods.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

Then, I realized I was really close to the back side of Hyrule Castle. It looked like it was just barely possible to glide over to it. I started looking around for a good spot to glide from... fought off a Bokoblin Archer riding a horse...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

I tried approaching the castle but, it's still just a bit too far out from here with my current stamina, and the guardians that I'd be in plain sight of... I'd have no chance...

Then I finally found the highest part of the hill, and barely made it to a spot where there's no danger...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

The music changed to this really amazing epic theme, and the minimap changed into a 3D dungeon map... extremely seemless transition from overworld to dungeon.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

It's raining, so I can't climb the castle walls, but I can get in through an open window...

Oh wait, nope, this is just an outer wall, still not inside the castle.
Then it stopped raining. Finally managed to sneak inside the castle... got insta-killed by like a 20-foot black moblin... tried again and used some stealth potion this time, got a bit further... found a Korok... lmao so dungeons have Koroks in them too.

Damn, I can't get very far inside, my weapons aren't good enough.
And a lot of the castle walls have this purple/black gooey stuff that I can't climb...

I started sneaking around the outside of the castle. Getting higher and higher up... Every time I get targeted by a guardian, I just run for cover... it's really exciting.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

It's incredible how much verticality this castle has... and it still feels like a long way to go before I reach the top.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot

Woah... I'm in way over my head here... I actually managed to find a safe place to hide in this Windblight Ganon fight... but I used up all my weapons and barely defeated him... but then I had like nothing left to fight the next phase, Waterblight Ganon... I also found out I can't use amiibo during boss battles. I guess that's as far as I'll go with this early Hyrule Castle attempt.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshot


No comments:

Post a Comment